Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Unintended Detour

Some years ago I attended the funeral of a friend.  During the service his pastor quoted from portions of a long poem he said has been my friend's favorite.  There was a line from that poem that has stuck with me ever since: "I have determined that when I find myself on a detour I will enjoy the view."  That was exactly how my friend had lived his life.  Despite his serious illness and many hospital stays over the years, he was always ready with a smile, a positive word, and a good attitude. 

During my years as a volunteer chaplain at Augusta Health I have quoted that line over and over.  I realized that it must have been during his own times in the hospital - his own detours - that it meant the most to my friend.  It always seemed to be meaningful when I shared it with patients. I have also mentioned it in other contexts to people seeking my pastoral care and insights.  My friend died in his 60's due to his illness, but his faith and view of life live on as I share his story and that quote.



And so I found myself on a little unintended detour yesterday.  I had gone to Waynesboro to pick up some supplies and decided that since I needed to go to Verona also, I would use Route 254 instead of US 250.  However, when I got to the intersection of Poplar and Broad instead of turning onto Poplar I drove on to the Willow Oak Shopping Center, as I usually would.  As I entered the parking lot I couldn't believe that I had driven there without even realizing it.  Isn't it kind of scary that we can drive on "auto-pilot"? 

There I was, on an unintended detour.  There was nothing to "see" besides pavement and store fronts.  I knew that there was a back entrance to the center that would take me over to Poplar and I exited that way.  As I got near to Poplar I could see this stunning tree a block or so beyond.  We weren't having a very colorful fall this year, perhaps due to the drought, or to the fact that we had not yet had a heavy freeze.  I wanted to see a tree that was bursting with color, so I drove beyond Poplar and found the tree on Ohio Avenue.  I was glad that I had my camera in the car.  That is the tree that is pictured above.

 

To get to Route 254 from Poplar I had to turn onto Ivy Street.  Almost immediately I came face to face with the most stunning red tree.  Red is especially rare this year, and most trees with red leaves lose them almost as soon as they appear.  After photographing the tree I continued on Ivy and was amazed to see another tree in full glory on the other side of the street a couple of blocks down.  Wow!  It was huge and bathed in splendid bright orange leaves.



I was really excited now.  I traveled on to Verona fully expecting to stop many times to photograph more bright trees.  However, from Waynesboro to Verona and on back to my home in Staunton I never saw another tree that was covered with brightly colored leaves.  It was while I was reflecting on that amazing reality that it dawned on me:  I had experienced life that day in a way that would have greatly pleased my old friend.  I had found myself on a detour and I had "enjoyed" the view. 

Admittedly, if I had been pressed for time yesterday the enjoyment of the view or even the detour itself would likely not have been a happy occasion.  I hope that I will learn from this, and try not to be in so much of a hurry that I miss the detours and the views that God has laid out to bless and encourage me.

One of my favorite Bible passages is Romans 8:28, "We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose."  Now, if I could just remember to embrace that in all my journeys and travels.

Blessings, Jim

2 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your thoughts and pictures are very meaningful to me today. Thanks for taking the time to share with all of us!

    ReplyDelete