Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 23, 2010

One Painting Leads to Another (x 5)

In September of 2009 I began a ten month stint as the Interim Pastor of Wellspring United Methodist Church in Williamsburg, VA.  When I came on board Charge Conference (the annual business meeting of the church) was just around the corner, so I created a painting for use in the logo of the conference.  I titled it “Tree of Grace” for I felt that it illustrated the wonderful inclusive nature of Wellspring Church that is its heart and heritage. 
A church member purchased it later that fall, just ahead of another member who had hoped to be able to purchase it.  So, I painted another version of it for her, and I titled it “Tree of Grace 2.” 
Before my time there was completed another member expressed an interest in having some paintings done that would be similar to the two “Tree of Grace” paintings, only as four paintings, each showing the tree in a different season.  After I moved back to Staunton in September 2010, I had to spend my first few months in the studio creating new works for the local galleries.  Finally, this month, I had enough time to create the requested works. 

Individually they are titled “Spring,” “Summer,” “Autumn” and “Winter,” but as a group they are titled “Grace Tree: Four Seasons.”

No comments:

Post a Comment