Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Why I "Re-Create" My Earlier Paintings Upon Request

Since I only sell original paintings (and small greeting cards featuring those paintings), and I do not sell prints or reproductions (except in very rare cases), I am willing to re-create a painting that I have produced earlier.  The only stipulation I put on this is that the new work, while it will closely resemble an earlier painting, will be clearly different and unique, so both the owner of the first work and the owner of the second work will have their own special painting, and no else has another one exactly like it.

I sell my paintings for unbelievably reasonable prices because my goal is for ordinary people, those who might not otherwise feel they could afford to own an original painting, to be able to do so.  Most of my original works actually cost less than prints of other artists’ paintings, plus those prints have to be framed to be displayed in a person’s home.  I am able to sell for less in part because I usually paint on gallery-wrapped canvases, which are designed to be displayed without a frame, although an owner of my work can choose to frame it.  If my work is framed it is usually less expensive than framing a print, because acrylic paintings on canvas are not to be displayed under glass (the canvas and paint need to “breath”), and glass is often the single most expensive (and weighty) part of a traditional frame.  I know what I am talking about because I am a certified framer, trained by Michael’s Frame Shop, well-known for professional, well-done framing.

Today I completed two re-created paintings.  Visitors come webpage, http://jim-harris.artistwebsites.com/, look around and sometime find works marked as “sold” that they wish they had been able to own.  They send me an email from the site, and I then offer to paint them their own version of the painting they admired.  Below are the first and second paintings of two different themes.  I think you can see that while each of them are of the same subject, they are, in fact, different and unique.



I am very grateful to God for my talent, and very appreciative that others find my work worthy of their ownership.  - Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment